Waste management is a crucial aspect of maintaining cleanliness and preserving the environment in any city. In this blog post, we will explore the various waste management services and practices in Geneva, Ohio, which ensures that the city remains clean and environmentally friendly.
Waste Collection Services in Geneva, Ohio
Geneva, Ohio has a well-organized waste collection system in place. The city contracts with a private waste management company to provide waste collection services to its residents. The services include:
- Curbside trash collection: This is the primary service provided by the waste management company. Residents are expected to place their garbage in the provided carts and wheel them out to the curb on the designated collection day.
- Recycling collection: The city also offers a curbside recycling program. Residents can place recyclable materials such as paper, cardboard, glass, metal cans, and plastic containers in the designated recycling cart, which is collected on the same day as regular trash collection.
- Yard waste collection: Geneva provides seasonal yard waste collection services. During specified times of the year, residents can place leaves, grass clippings, and small branches in biodegradable paper bags or personal containers marked “yard waste” at the curb for pickup.
- Bulk item collection: For larger items such as furniture or appliances, Geneva offers scheduled bulk item collection. Residents can call the waste management company to arrange for the pickup of these items.
Waste Collection Schedule
Waste collection in Geneva typically occurs on a weekly basis. To find out your designated collection day, you can check the city’s website or call the waste management company directly. It’s important to note that collection schedules may vary during holidays or due to inclement weather. In such cases, updated collection schedules will be posted on the city’s website or sent via email notifications.
Drop-off Recycling Center
In addition to the curbside recycling program, Geneva also has a drop-off recycling center located at the City Maintenance Garage. The center accepts a variety of materials, including:
- Paper and cardboard
- Glass bottles and jars
- Metal cans
- Plastic containers (Numbers 1-7)
Note that the drop-off center does not accept any hazardous waste materials, such as paint, automotive fluids, or batteries. These items should be disposed of properly through other channels.
Hazardous Waste Disposal
Proper disposal of hazardous waste is essential for maintaining a clean and safe environment. Geneva residents can participate in the annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection event organized by the Ashtabula County Solid Waste District. During this event, residents can drop off hazardous waste items such as:
- Automotive fluids (oil, antifreeze, brake fluid)
- Paints and solvents
- Household cleaners and chemicals
- Pesticides and fertilizers
For more information on the Household Hazardous Waste Collection event, including dates and locations, residents can visit the Ashtabula County Solid Waste District’s website or call their office.
Geneva, Ohio’s comprehensive waste management system ensures that the city remains clean and environmentally responsible. By participating in the available waste collection and disposal services, residents can do their part in maintaining the city’s cleanliness and ecological sustainability.