For those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life, a serene getaway awaits you in Ohio. Nestled along the shores of Lake Erie, Geneva-on-the-Lake is a picturesque destination that offers a perfect blend of relaxation, natural beauty, and exciting activities for all ages. In this blog post, we will explore the location, history, and attractions of this charming lakeside village.
Where is Geneva-on-the-Lake?
Located in the northeastern corner of Ohio, Geneva-on-the-Lake lies in Ashtabula County, about 54 miles northeast of Cleveland. The village can be easily accessed via Interstate 90 and State Route 534. The geographic coordinates of Geneva-on-the-Lake are 41°51′24″N 80°56′28″W.
Geneva-on-the-Lake is situated on the southern shore of Lake Erie, one of the Great Lakes of North America. The village is part of the Lake Erie Coastal Ohio Trail, a scenic byway that stretches along the shoreline from the Pennsylvania border to Toledo.
A Brief History of Geneva-on-the-Lake
Geneva-on-the-Lake has a rich history that dates back to the early 19th century. The area was first settled in 1805 by a group of land surveyors led by Austinburg Township settler, Alexander Harper. It was originally called Sturgeon Point, after the abundance of sturgeon fish found in the nearby waters.
In 1869, Charles Blakeslee bought a portion of land and developed it into a lakeside resort, which he named Geneva-on-the-Lake. The village quickly gained popularity as a summer retreat for residents of nearby cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh. In 1957, the village was officially incorporated, and it has continued to grow as a popular tourist destination ever since.
What to See and Do in Geneva-on-the-Lake
Today, Geneva-on-the-Lake offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Some of the highlights include:
- The Geneva State Park: This beautiful state park features a sandy beach, marina, hiking trails, picnic areas, and a lodge with stunning views of Lake Erie. Visitors can enjoy swimming, fishing, boating, or birdwatching in this tranquil setting.
- Adventure Zone Family Fun Center: A perfect destination for families, the Adventure Zone offers go-karts, bumper boats, miniature golf, batting cages, and an arcade.
- Geneva-on-the-Lake Golf Course: Golf enthusiasts can enjoy a challenging round on this beautiful 18-hole course, which offers panoramic views of Lake Erie.
- Ashtabula County’s Covered Bridges: Take a scenic drive through the countryside to explore the county’s 19 historic covered bridges, including the longest covered bridge in the United States, the Smolen-Gulf Bridge.
- Wineries and Breweries: The surrounding area is home to numerous wineries and breweries, where visitors can sample local wines and craft beers.
In addition to these attractions, Geneva-on-the-Lake hosts several annual events and festivals, such as the Wine & Walleye Festival, the Thunder on the Strip motorcycle rally, and the Summer Music Series.
Experience the Charm of Geneva-on-the-Lake
Whether you’re seeking relaxation, adventure, or a bit of both, Geneva-on-the-Lake has something for everyone. With its beautiful lakefront setting, fascinating history, and diverse attractions, this charming village is a must-visit destination in Ohio. Start planning your trip today and discover the beauty and charm of Geneva-on-the-Lake!