Located in the heart of Ohio’s wine country, Geneva is a charming small town filled with fun activities and attractions for locals and visitors alike. Whether you’re an outdoor enthusiast, a wine lover, or simply looking for a relaxing getaway, there’s something for everyone in Geneva, Ohio. In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the top things to do in this picturesque town.
1. Visit the Wineries
As mentioned, Geneva is situated in the heart of Ohio’s wine country, and visiting the local wineries is a must for any wine enthusiast. The area boasts over 20 wineries, each with its own unique offerings and atmosphere. Some popular wineries to visit include:
- Laurentia Vineyard & Winery – Known for its beautiful tasting room and wide selection of wines, Laurentia Vineyard & Winery is a must-visit.
- South River Vineyard – Housed in a restored church, South River Vineyard offers not only great wines but also a stunning setting for your wine-tasting experience.
- Grand River Cellars – Featuring a cozy fireplace, delicious food, and live music, Grand River Cellars is a great spot to spend an afternoon or evening.
2. Explore Geneva State Park
For those who love the great outdoors, Geneva State Park is a must-visit destination. The park offers a variety of recreational activities, including:
- Hiking – With more than six miles of trails, Geneva State Park offers hiking opportunities for all skill levels.
- Boating and Fishing – The park’s marina provides access to Lake Erie for boating and fishing enthusiasts.
- Swimming – Enjoy the park’s 300-foot public swimming beach during the summer months.
- Camping – The park features a campground with electric hookups, perfect for a weekend getaway.
3. Discover the Covered Bridges
Geneva and the surrounding area are home to numerous historic covered bridges, making it a perfect destination for a scenic drive or bike ride. Some notable bridges to visit include:
- Harpersfield Covered Bridge – The longest covered bridge in Ohio, Harpersfield Covered Bridge is a must-see for its unique architecture and picturesque setting.
- Mechanicsville Road Covered Bridge – Built in 1867, this historic bridge is located in the nearby town of Austinburg and features beautiful views of the Grand River.
4. Enjoy Local Dining
When you need a break from wine tasting and exploring the outdoors, enjoy some delicious food at one of Geneva’s many local restaurants. Popular options include:
- Eddie’s Grill – This nostalgic eatery offers classic American fare and a fun, retro atmosphere.
- Old Mill Winery – Enjoy delicious food and wine pairings at this charming, rustic winery and restaurant.
- Horizons Restaurant & Lounge – Located at the Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, Horizons offers stunning views of Lake Erie along with delicious cuisine.
With its picturesque setting, relaxing atmosphere, and variety of activities, Geneva, Ohio is the perfect destination for a weekend getaway or a day trip. Whether you’re a wine enthusiast, an outdoor adventurer, or simply looking for a charming town to explore, you’ll find plenty to enjoy in Geneva.