Every year, the city of Geneva in Northeast Ohio hosts a special event that brings everyone together to celebrate the rich tradition of grape cultivation and winemaking in the region – the Geneva Grape Jamboree. This event, which takes place annually during the last full weekend of September, has been a staple in the community for over 50 years. The Grape Jamboree highlights the importance of grapes and wine to the local community and economy, as well as providing fun and entertainment for all ages.
What to Expect at the Geneva Grape Jamboree
The Grape Jamboree is a two-day event packed with a variety of activities and attractions for visitors of all ages. Some of the main highlights include:
- Grape Stomp – One of the most popular attractions at the Jamboree, the grape stomp allows participants to experience the age-old tradition of stomping on grapes with their bare feet to start the winemaking process. Winners of the grape stomp competition are even awarded prizes!
- Parades – There are two parades during the weekend, with local organizations, marching bands, and floats making their way through the downtown area. The Grand Parade is held on Saturday, while the smaller Kiddie Parade takes place on Sunday.
- Wine Tasting – Local wineries and vineyards offer samples of their finest wines for visitors to taste and enjoy.
- Live Entertainment – A variety of live performances, including music, dancing, and other acts, can be found on multiple stages throughout the Jamboree.
- Food Vendors – Indulge in some delicious food from local vendors, including a wide range of grape-themed treats and dishes.
- Arts and Crafts – Browse through the many booths showcasing handmade arts and crafts from local artisans.
- Carnival Rides and Games – The Jamboree features a full carnival with rides and games for kids and adults alike to enjoy.
Experience the Rich History of Geneva’s Grape Industry
While the Grape Jamboree is a fun-filled event filled with entertainment, at its core, it is a celebration of the region’s history and heritage. Geneva and the surrounding areas have been home to grape cultivation and winemaking for well over a century. The region boasts fertile soil and a unique microclimate, making it an ideal location for growing grapes, particularly the native Concord grape variety.
The local wine industry has seen a resurgence in recent years, with more than 20 wineries now calling the area home. These wineries not only offer delicious wines but also serve as popular tourist attractions, drawing visitors from near and far to experience the beauty of the vineyards and the warmth of the local hospitality.
Plan Your Visit to the Geneva Grape Jamboree
Whether you’re a wine lover, a grape enthusiast, or just looking for a fun weekend getaway, the Geneva Grape Jamboree is an event you won’t want to miss. With a variety of activities and entertainment options, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Mark your calendars for the last full weekend of September and join the celebration of grapes and wine in Geneva, Ohio!